Just switch off he says!
I would if I could but I don’t have a ‘nothing box’ to chill out in like you do!!
Does that sound like a familiar conversation you sometimes have with the man in your life?
Unlike men, whose brains are a series of individual boxes, women’s brains are like a big ball of wire where everything is connected to everything. The idea of switching off for a woman is a foreign concept and one that we can often struggle with.
So what does it mean for women to “switch off” ?
For me ‘switching off’ is the process of moving from my head (masculine) to my heart (feminine). It’s about taking time to ‘be’ instead of ‘do’ so that I become more present for myself and in turn more present for others.
So how do we do this?
In short through our common senses of sight, touch, taste, smell and hearing.
Here’s my Top 12 ways to move from my head and into my heart :-
- Breathe! Notice your breath as it goes in through your nose and out through your mouth. Feel the air as it moves through your body. Ten focused breaths is a simple way you can bring yourself back to your heart in moments. Best part is you can do it anywhere!
- Soak in a luxurious bath filled with bubbles and surrounded by your favourite scented candles.
- Go for a walk in nature.
- Breathe in the scent of a beautiful flower or your favourite perfume.
- Enjoy a stroll along the beach with the waves gently lapping at your feet.
- Lie on the grass in the sunshine feeling the rays of the sun warming your body.
- Savour a piece of your favourite chocolate. Feel it stick to your teeth, your tongue and the roof of your mouth. Delicious!
- Listen to your favourite music.
- Read something meaningful that helps you reconnect more deeply to your heart such as someone’s inspirational story or a piece of poetry. Business books and personal development books don’t’ count!
- Meditate. If your mind is busy observe it with the playfulness of a young child. There’s no need to make yourself wrong for having a busy mind. Gazing into a candle or an open fire is another beautiful form of mediation and one that you may find more soothing on the days your mind is particularly busy. This is one of my favourites.
- Nurture your body with a beautiful relaxing massage.
- Take a shower. Put a couple of drops of your favourite pure essential oil on the base of the shower and breath in the aroma as the hot water hits it. Breath deeply and consciously as you feel the water running through your hair and over your body. Divine.
There are so many ways we can switch off, its just a case of getting to know what works best for you.
Now that I’ve shared some of my favourites, I’d love to know what you do to switch off.
By sharing with each other we get to learn and grow together so please share in the comments section below.
PS: Just for fun I thought I’d add in this really cool video to give you a chuckle on the topic of men’s and women’s brains.